How do I qualify for Professional Investor status?
As an individual, you can qualify as a Professional Investor, if you are a individual investor having a portfolio of not less than HK$8 million (or its foreign currency equivalent) at the relevant date in:
- A portfolio on your own account; or
- A portfolio on a joint account with your associate (eg. spouse); or
- Your share* of a portfolio on a joint account with another who is not his associate; or
- A portfolio of a corporation which has the holding of investments as its principal business and is wholly owned by you.
* In determining your share of a portfolio on a joint account with persons other than your associates, your share means the one specified in a written agreement among the account holders OR an equal share of portfolio in the absence of an agreement.
Assets can be:
- Investments based on market value (including stocks, bonds, unit trusts, equity-linked investment and more)
- Certificates of Deposits (CDs)
- Cash or cash equivalent deposits
Please upload documents such as:
- One or more statements of accounts issued by a bank or brokerage firm (either in your name or with your spouse or your children on a joint account basis), dated not more than 3 months ago
- A certificate issued by an auditor or certified public accountant, dated not more than 3 months ago
- A public filing# submitted by or on behalf of the individual, dated not more than 3 months ago
- A copy of the agreement (if any), in cases where your share of a portfolio on a joint account with persons other than your associates is concerned.
# Public filing means a document that a person or body is under a duty to publish pursuant to legal or regulatory requirements in Hong Kong (e.g. published financial results of a listed company etc.)
Please note: pursuant to the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong, you are required to provide such supporting documents on an annual basis to renew your Professional Investor status.